These donuts are the best gluten free ones I’ve made. I don’t make donuts often so when I do I want the real deal. And these are it!
If you want the perfect donut shape, freezing the dough in shape before cooking will help you achieve this. Otherwise you can cook immediately, with squiqqly shapes. It will still tastes delicious either way!
Invest in a candy thermometer (approximately $10) to monitor the temperature of the oil while cooking. To stop big drops in the temperature of the oil only cook three donuts at a time.
- For batter
- 130g gluten free self raising flour (I used Ardor or Bobs Red Mill)
- 3/4 tsp caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 75g butter, in cubes
- 225ml full cream milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- For cooking
- Vegetable oil or neutral oil
- For coating
- 1 cup caster or white sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (adjust to your taste)
- Sift the gluten free flour in a large mixing bowl and mix in the sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- Combine milk and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until butter has melted and mixture comes to the boil. Remove from the heat immediately and pour mixture into the large mixing bowl with flour mix. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon, until mixture comes together. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the eggs to the dough one at a time with the vanilla mixing with a wooden spoon until incorporated. The batter should be thick, smooth and glossy. Keep stirring if there is lumps. Air bubbles are a good sign! Transfer mixture into a piping bag or plastic zip lock bag with corner cut off.
At this point you can either freeze the dough (step 4) or skip to step 5 immediately.
- If you’re freezing the dough pipe dough into circles on baking trays lined with baking paper. Smooth out any cracks with wet fingers. Place in the freezer until frozen (approximately 10 hours).
- Mix together cinnamon and sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Use a thermometer to check the temperature throughout cooking. The optimal temperature is 170-190 degrees Celsius. Using tongs place 2-3 frozen donuts into the oil OR if you didn’t freeze the dough pipe 10cm pieces directly into the hot oil, cutting it off with a knife. Cook for approximately 3-4 minutes each side (dependent on size) until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove using a slotted spoon, place briefly on paper towel and then toss generously in cinnamon sugar. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining dough.
Recipe adapted from Woolworths Churros with Chocolate Sauce.