There is something about apple and cinnamon together, that I find comforting. I am always sprinkling cinnamon on apples, when I put them on my gluten free porridge or have them as a snack. So these, quick and easy apple and cinnamon puff pastries, will be you’re new favourite treat. Combine them with ice-cream, or greek yoghurt for a quick and easy dessert.
The pastry: Use my rough puff pastry recipe on my website found here or store brought gluten free pastry if you’re short on time. The ones pictures are made with my gluten free rough puff pastry. It is relatively quick to make, and delivers on taste and texture.
I hope you enjoy!
- 2 sheets of gluten free puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 medium sized apples
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Sprinkle of salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Thaw your puff pastry to room temperature. Or if you're using my gluten free rough puff pastry recipe roll it out till its thin between two sheets of baking paper.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Cut your pastry into small rectangles. Reshape and roll extra dough to cut to shape. Place the cut pastry onto trays lined with baking paper, leaving a small gap in between.
- Score the edges of the rectangles, creating a 1 cm border all around the pastry. Don't cut all the way through the pastry, just make a score.
- Beat the egg with 1 tsp of water. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Thinly slice the apples and toss with the lemon juice, to prevent them from browning.
- Melt the butter in a small mixing bowl. Add the brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Add to the apples and toss to mix.
- Arrange the apples as you desire over the puff pastry, keeping inside the scored border (or not, its up to you!). Top with any remaining brown sugar mixture.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 25 minutes, until apples are tender and pastry is puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately and enjoy!