Who cares about Taco Tuesday, I’d have these Tacos any day of the week! These slow cooked chicken tacos are topped with black beans, a classic Pico de Gallo (Mexican tomato dip), shredded cabbage, carrot & home made chipotle mayo.
The chicken itself is so easy, you just put all the ingredients into a slow cooker and set on high for 4 hours or low for 6. Then shred the chicken and return to the slow cooker for 30 minutes before eating. This slow cooked chicken is different to the recipe in the burrito bowls as it includes a gluten free taco sauce. You can make this if you have the time (but I never do) so I purchased the Woolworths brand, which is the only gluten free by ingredient one I could find.
The tomato on top, is called a Pico de Gallo, like a tomato salsa and is a mix of tomato, coriander, onion, and lime juice! Delicious. I also topped it with black beans (extra fibre), carrot and cabbage.
I also made the chipotle mayonnaise from scratch. I didn’t realise it was so easy! If you don’t have time, you can absolutely purchase this. But if you want to make it, allow for 5-10 minutes (it’s that easy/quick!). It will make more than you need for this recipe though, but you can also spread it on cooked corn cobs, or use it in sandwiches or wraps.
The corn tortillas I purchased from my local grocer, and are made here in Melbourne by La Tortilleria. Which is also a 100% gluten free restaurant in Kensington just out of the CBD, if you haven’t been I’d highly recommend. They are the best, but if you can’t source these, we also used the Woolworths corn tortillas for the left-overs.
I hope you enjoy!
- SLOW COOKER CHICKEN:
- 1 jar of gluten free taco sauce (240g)
- 600g chicken breast
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garlic powder/granules
- 1/2-1 tsp chilli powder (depending on taste)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp salt
- TOMATO TOPPING (Pico de Gallo):
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 jalapeno, finely sliced (optional if you want heat)
- BLACK BEANS:
- 1 tin (400g) of black beans
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 7ml apple cider vinegar
- 200 ml neutral oil*
- 1-2 tsp chipotle
- TO SERVE:
- 6-8 corn tortillas
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
Slow cooked chicken:
- Place all the chicken ingredients into the slow cooker and stir to coat the chicken. Place on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, remove the chicken and check it is cooked through. Using two forks shred it and return to the slow cooker and leave on low for 30 minutes until ready to eat.
Tomato topping (Pico de Gallo):
- In a medium bowl, combine the onion, tomatoes, lime juice, coriander and salt. (And optional jalapeno).
- Stir together and taste. Add more salt if the flavours aren’t right.
- Drain and rinse the black beans.
- Add to a fry pan with the smoked paprika. Stir and continue to heat until warmed.
- Whisk the egg yolks, lime and cider vinegar in a bowl until smooth.
- Continue whisking and slowly adding the oil in a slow drizzle. Whisk until it is smooth and the desired texture, it shouldn’t be too runny. Add a little warm water if it is too thick.
- Add 1-2 tsp chipotle spice and a good pinch of salt.
- Warm the tortillas in a fry pan for 30 seconds each side (or according to packet directions).
- Top the warmed corn tortilla with the carrot and cabbage first (to prevent the tortilla from softening!), then the chicken, beans, tomato mix and mayo.
- Sprinkle with extra coriander and serve with a wedge of lime.
* A neutral oil such as vegetable, canola or a light olive oil. If you use a heavy olive oil it will flavour the mayonnaise.