I had the idea to make pizza bread a few months ago. It was one of the nights that we hadn’t gone shopping and our only option for dinner was looking like eggs on toast. Which I normally love, but get bored of if we have it more than one night per week. So, I got to creating in the kitchen and whipped up pizza toast for dinner in no time at all. I had to do two trays as Simon demolished four pieces before I’d even finished one! In his defence he’d just been for a 10km run.
We were both so impressed with the crunchy texture of the base. We used Helga’s Gluten Free White Bread and it worked a treat. A perfect substitute for when you can’t find or make a gluten free pizza bread. We’ve made it for lunch and dinner multiple times since and just switch up the toppings to keep it interesting.
The top tip with the recipe is squishing the gluten free bread to give it a thin base, and pre-baking the bread without the toppings in the oven. These two steps allow the bread base to crisp up and maintain this crispiness even after you’ve added the toppings. Trust me you’ll be surprised with how good the texture is! Because you’re squishing the bread you want to pick one that holds it shape well (note I’ve only tried this with Helga’s).
To keep it interesting some other toppings we’ve tried are:
- Ham and pineapple (yes I love pineapple on pizza!)
- Salami, olives and capsicum
- Artichokes, capsicum, fetta and olives (salty delight!)
- Veggie explosion – pumpkin (diced thinly), zucchini, capsicum and fetta
I hope you enjoy.
- 4 slices of Helga’s Gluten Free White bread
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- ¼ cup of tomato pasta sauce
- 2-3 slices of salami
- ¼ cup of cooked and shredded chicken
- ¼ fresh capsicum, thinly sliced
- 6 small bocconcini
- ¼ cup of pizza cheese or mozzarella
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Using a rolling pin, your hands or a flat baking tray flatten the gluten free bread slightly. Drizzle with olive oil, place on your pre-prepared baking tray in the oven and cook for 5 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Remove from the oven. Top with your tomato pasta sauce, cheese and a combination of toppings. I did one salami and one chicken.
- Place back in the oven for 6-8 minutes until the cheese has melted. Enjoy!
Note: Flattening the bread slightly helps make it crispier.