Are you like me and struggle with ideas and time to make your work lunches? The added difficulty with having Coeliac Disease is you generally can’t just ‘play it by year’ and buy your lunch at work. Unless you’re living the dream and working near a cafe that does awesome gluten free and coeliac safe food.
So I’m always on the hunt for recipes, that are tasty and quick to take for lunch. These fritters are a winner, and take under 20 minutes to whip together using a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor you could also try mashing the chickpeas, mincing the garlic and mixing all the ingredients together for the same result.
Try flavouring them with different spices (smoked paprika!), or if you like things hot then add some chilli flakes or fresh chilli (Simons favourite). You could also add some other vegetables, like grated carrot or zucchini. The opportunities are endless.
- 1 x 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 cup gluten free self-raising flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (for cooking only)
- Put all the ingredients (except vegetable oil) in a food processor. Pulse until combined, and season with salt and pepper. The mixture should be slightly wet and able to form balls easily.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Drop in tablespoons of mixture, about 4-5 at a time. Cook and turn occasionally until lightly brown all over.
- Remove and drain on paper towel. Continue until all mixture is cooked.
- Serve with salad or in a wrap. They're great with some lemon juice squeezed over and some natural yoghurt.