Nachos with a couple of serves of veggies!
These are delicious, nutritious and quick to whip together in the kitchen. They’ll soon become a regular on your weekly rotation. They have on ours! Feel free to mix and match the veggies. You can add grated zucchini, carrot or whatever you fancy.
- 1 large sweet potato
- Olive oil
- 1/2-1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin, divided in two
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 punnet (200-250g) cherry tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans (420g)
- 2-3 handfuls gluten free corn chips (150g)
- 1/2-1 cup of grated cheese
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup sour cream or greek yoghurt
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapenos (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Peel sweet potato and cut into bite size chunks. Soak cut sweet potato in water for 5 minutes. Drain, rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Spread onto baking trays lined with baking paper. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with spices (see note), turn to coat. Place in the oven for 20 minutes until softened. Leave oven on for the final step.
- Meanwhile, deseed and chop the capsicum into cubes. Chop the cherry tomatoes. Heat a frying pan over medium low heat. Drizzle with olive oil. Add the capsicum, half the cherry tomatoes and the garlic salt. Heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until softened. Remove to a bowl, keep frying pan for the next step.
- Drain and rinse the kidney beans. Heat cumin powder and a small drizzle of olive oil in frying pan over medium heat. Add kidney beans and stir to coat. Heat for 5 minutes.
- Layer corn chips in a medium baking dish. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Place in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile mash avocado in a small bowl with a fork. Stir through lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove corn chips from the oven, top with sweet potato, kidney beans and the capsicum/cherry tomato mix. Return to the oven for 2-3 minutes until heated through. Remove and top with remaining cherry tomatoes, coriander leaves and jalapenos (if using). Serve immediately with sides of avocado and sour cream/greek yoghurt.*This is spicy. Add more or less to your preference.