Gluten free dumplings are surprisingly easy to make. So don’t be scared off! The hardest bit is mastering the folding (check YouTube) and then it’s easy. My partner said these absolutely compare to non-gluten free dumplings. They also don’t require any fancy or expensive ingredients, just a bit of time.
You can add any filling you want. I’ve included a classic chicken filling in the recipe. In the notes below you’ll find the vegetarian filling. Also feel free to make them ahead of time and freeze until you’re ready to cook and eat. They are vegan if you use a veggie filling!
- Flour: Glutinous rice flour is gluten free. The term glutinous refers to the sticky and glue like properties of the flour. You can purchase it at Coles or some health food stores in Australia, in a see through package with green writing. In my Coles it’s located in the Asian food section.
- For the other flour you can use plain rice flour with the addition of 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum, to help with binding. Or a premade gluten free flour, like Orgran or Bobs Red Mill, that have gums like xanthan or guar gum already added. Either will work in this recipe and I’ve included notes for both.
- The consistency of the dough is important.
- Rolling & folding the wrappers: I’ve made an instagram TV video available on my instagram @gfgirlmelb if you want some tips and tricks on rolling and folding them. If you’re not worried about how they look feel free to fold them in half. In the video you’ll see me rolling the small dough balls in my hand for a long time, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. This helps to smooth out the dough, and creates a nicer wrapper.
I hope you enjoy! Watch my @gfgirlmelb video to see me make them.
Make the FILLING: Assembling: Cooking: * You can use a gluten free flour blend eg. Ardor or Bobs Red Mill or rice flour. If you only use rice flour add 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum. If you use a different flour blend check that it contains xanthan or guar gum, if it doesn't add 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum. You can purchase xanthan gum at Coles or gluten free speciality stores.
3 tbsp oil + extra 3 tbsp
1 tablespoon ginger, grated/minced
2 spring onion, finely chopped
1 cup mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 cup cabbage, grated
1 cup carrot, grated
1/4 cup chives, chopped
1/2 tsp white pepper
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1. In a large deep fry pan, heat the 3 tbsp of oil. Add the ginger and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
2. Add the spring onions, and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the mushroom and cook until softened, 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the cabbage and carrot and cook for 2 minutes until the veggies are tender.
5. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
6. Add the chives, white pepper, soy sauce, sugar and the extra 3 tbsp of oil. Set aside until ready to use.
Make the FILLING:
* You can use a gluten free flour blend eg. Ardor or Bobs Red Mill or rice flour. If you only use rice flour add 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum. If you use a different flour blend check that it contains xanthan or guar gum, if it doesn't add 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum. You can purchase xanthan gum at Coles or gluten free speciality stores.